Thursday, January 6, 2011

Baby Arrival

*EDIT* I wrote the on sept 9th, but really haven't had a lot of time to proof read and post new entries until now. So it is a little late, but better late than never :)

Our little SweetPea has arrived :) September 7th, 2010 at 2:43 pm.

Tuesday morning at 8:30 am the phone rang. Dr. Cooper was on the other end, asking if we could be at the hospital in an hour!!! An hour?!? Crazy! Daddy and I brushed our teeth, slipped on some clothes and threw a bunch of stuff in the car. We drove to the hospital, found parking right out front... (thanks to Daddy and his bad leg)
We signed in, went up to the labour and delivery section and were told they didn't have a room ready for us, so we had to wait. Wait and wait some more we did. We were taken to our room and waited some more.

Around 2pm they came to get me. We walked to the operating room, where I was separated from Nenad and my mom and taken in to the operating room. The nurses talked to me, tried to distract me from the reality of surgery as they prepared everything.

Dr. Cooper felt my tummy and reaffirmed the fact that you were still breech. Thankfully Uta was there to hold my hands as they prepped my back for the spinal. I started crying  when they were cleaning my back. I think it was out of fear. Fear of the needle, fear of the surgery, fear and excitement that I would have a baby in less than 30 minutes.

The needle went in. It wasn't painful, just a bit of a cold sting, mostly felt like the anesthesiologist was pushing on a bruised muscle. After the first needle, the anesthesiologist asked for a second needle... I didn't feel that one at all. My feet started warming up, then my legs and then they lied me down. I quickly started feeling faint, then nauseous with cold sweats. I couldn't keep my eyes open. They swiftly put something in my IV and with in 30 seconds I felt good as new. I guess my blood pressure dropped to fast.

I was nervous about the catheter. Uta asked me if I could feel something on my stomach, I said no, and she said she was pinching me, and just like that the catheter was in and Nenad was brought in.

Nenad comforted me as I felt some pressure on my stomach. Then the doctor said that with a c-section sometimes babies don't cry right away, and they aren't always pink. He warned me that I was going to feel a lot of pressure on my chest as he pushed the baby down, another doctor told me it would feel like someone sitting on my chest, and then the docs sort of disagreed with each other on that description. I felt some crazy pushing and tugging and then they held up our baby girl very briefly. She cried right away and she was the perfect pink :) She was absolutely perfect and ready to enter this big bright world.
I turned to Nenad with tears rolling down my cheeks,  my voice crackling, I barely managed to say "she is so beautiful." I honestly was so full of emotion. I had so many feelings going on. She was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.  I cried , I laughed, I even sort of snorted. She took my breath away. I seriously lost control of my facial muscles, I can't explain it, but Im sure I was not a pretty site. I guess that is the true meaning of being overcome with emotions.

Nenad brought Sophie over to see me. My one arm was strapped down so I couldn't hold her but Nenad held her close to me. Then Uta held her and pressed Sophies face against mine. She was so warm and soft. I nuzzled her and kissed her. I worried that my rough chapped lips would be soo scratchy against her perfectly soft, smooth, fair skin. Her complexion was flawless.

They wheeled me to recovery.  I held my little baby girl. Her temperature wasn't warm enough so as they cleaned me up, they put Sophie under a little heater. Mom and Nenad were there with me. When I could wiggle my toes, they allowed me to go back to my room.
They put these compression leggings on me. I was itchy itchy itchy from they anesthetic, so they put a shot of benadryl in my IV. I felt a little trapped, being hooked up to an IV, compression boots, and a catheter! The compression boots felt interesting for a while. After a few hours, the sound of them, the compressing of them, and the fact that i couldn't get under them to scratch my itchy legs was a tiny bit bothersome, but who could be bothered by anything when you are holding your baby girl.

All but one of the nurses were amazing! The pain wasn't as bad as I expected. I took a couple extra strength Tylenol. I spent 2 nights in the hospital. My Mom and Nenad took turns staying with me. Sophie slept in my arms both nights. I was doing so well and Sophie was gaining weight and latching well, that they let us leave a day early.

Motherhood is amazing. I love Sophie so much. She is just like her mommy.... her favourite hobbies are sleeping and eating :) Looks wise, I think she looks like her Daddy.

No comments: